National Innovation and Start-up Policy (NISP)
The National Innovation and Start-up Policy (NISP) -2019 for students and faculty in Higher Educational Institutes (HEIs) was launched by Former Minister of Education, Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ on 11th September 2019 at AICTE, New Delhi.
This policy intends to guide HEIs to promote student-driven innovations and start-ups and to engage the students and faculty in innovation and start-up activities in the campus. This policy aims at enabling HEIs to build, streamline and strengthen the innovation and entrepreneurial ecosystem in campus and will be instrumental in leveraging the potential of student’s creative problem-solving and entrepreneurial mind-set, and promoting a strong intra and inter-institutional partnerships with ecosystem enablers and different stakeholders at regional, national and international level. This policy is being implemented by the Ministry of Education (MoE’s) Innovation Cell in coordination with AICTE, UGC, State/ UT governments, and Universities. Implementation of policy has been undertaken for quick adoption by HEIs.
A fifteen membered committee was constituted by the Ministry of Human Resource Development to formulate detailed guidelines for various aspects related to innovation, Startup, and entrepreneurship management. This committee deliberated on various facets for nurturing the innovation and Startup culture in HEIs, which covered Intellectual Property ownership, revenue sharing mechanisms, norms for technology transfer and commercialization, equity sharing, etc. After multiple rounds of meetings, the National Innovation and Startup Policy 2019 for students and faculties of HEIs were prepared.
India aspires to become a 5 trillion-dollar economy by 2024. To reach the mark, it needs to evolve systems and mechanisms to convert the present demographic dividend into high-quality technical human resources capable of doing cutting-edge research and innovation and deep-tech entrepreneurship.
The ‘National Student and Faculty Startup policy 2019’ is a guiding framework to envision an educational system oriented towards start-ups and entrepreneurship opportunities for students and faculties.
Objectives and Features
The objectives of this policy are as follows:
- To guide HEIs to promote and motivate students’ for Innovation & Entrepreneurship
- To create Innovation Pipeline and Pathways for Entrepreneurs
- To Incentivize Faculty & Students for Entrepreneurship
- To provide Incubation & Pre-Incubation support
- To collaborate and Co-create the Business Relationship and Knowledge Exchange
The main features of this policy are as follows:
- Creation of ‘Innovation fund’ for supporting innovative projects and Start-ups by allocating minimum 1% of institution’s total budget.
- Academic break for a semester/ year to work on their startups Credits for working on innovative prototype/ business models.
- 2% – 9.5% Equity/ stake in startup/ company by Institute’s incubator.
- Complete Ownership of IPR by the inventors in case of non-usage of institute’s facilities/ resources.
- Services to be offered by institution in lieu of equity, fee-based or zero payment model.
NISP implementation plan
The NISP implementation team at MoE’s Innovation Cell has designed a five-stage implementation plan to take the NISP to ground. A portal in this regard has been in place to accommodate the below implementation phases with proper progress monitoring and evaluation mechanism.
- Stage 1: Launch of NISP Campaign to bring HEIs to a common platform and commitment to adopt the NISP in institutes in a time-bound manner.
- Stage 2: Inviting Nomination of Sr. Faculty from HEI to Implement I&E Policy at Institute Level.
- Stage 3: Phase-wise conduct of Orientation cum Training Programs for the nominated faculty in policy design and implementation and offering further handholding in implementation.
- Stage 4: Implementation progress monitoring and program evaluation and corrective actions
- Stage 5: Incorporation of changes and improvement in existing policy, consensus building and further implementation.
|National Innovation and Startup Policy 2019 for Students and Faculty||Click here to view|
|Innovation and Startup Policy Implementation Strategy and Progress Monitoring at HEI Level||Click here to view|
|Presentation on National Innovation and Startup Policy (NISP) for students and faculty in HEIs||Click here to view|